[Zope-CMF] Plong/CMF lack of speed?

Johan Carlsson [Torped] johanc@torped.se
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 11:19:01 +0200

At 20:19 2002-09-08 -0400, george donnelly said:
>I suspect its the javascript which the default Plone template makes much=
 use
>of. I wonder if it has anything to with ZPT? Is ZPT really slower than DTML
>as I have heard some people allege?
>
>Its not CMF because I use CMF a lot together with DTML-based
>(Javascript-less) templates and I encounter no speed problems.

I reviewed the portal_skins code last night and it shouldn't be=20
specifically slow.
I'm not sure about the JavaScript part though, which make ZPT the most
suspected bad guy right now (which is very interesting indeed).
Regards,
Johan Carlsson

At 20:03 2002-09-08 -0500, alan runyan said:
>1. ZPT is slower than DTML.  You may be shocked by this.  Please understand
>that ZPT is 100% Python and DTML is written in C.  Also ZPT is "compiled"
>where as DTML isnt and is much more like PHP.  Once ZPT is feature
>complete -
>I would not doubt that a C implementation will be released eventually.  I
>would
>compare the overhead to that of OO languages versus pure procedural
>languages.
>OO takes negligible penalties and is infintely more flexible.  I feel ZPT=
 is
>the same.

My interest is out of pure technical and CMF interest,
in which it seems that, ZPT is the bad guy. Which indeed is interesting.
We will have to assess ZPT before starting to use them extensivly.

--=20
Torped Strategi och Kommunikation AB
Johan Carlsson
johanc@torped.se