[Zope-CMF] Dublin Core Metadata

Erik Lange erik@mmmanager.org
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 06:22:45 +0200

At 02:54 AM 9/28/02, alan runyan wrote:

> > >I tried it out and it worked, but now in my current plone-site I
> > >fail to make it work.
> > >
> > >I inserted this code into main_template. I get no errors but also no
> > >metatags.
>
>you would want to look at the header.pt and see what slots you can
>fill with this.  I put it in the collector.  We dont have this in plone but
>will make it into the final.  should be trivial to change.
>
> > >I am using Zope 2.5.1 and Plone beta 1.
> > >
> > >Think I am missing something.
> >
> > I think you may have too much ;-)
> >
> > ... like, Plone ?
> >
> > Plone is _not_ a standard CMF-produkt. It's more like an alternative
> > CMF-produkt.
>
>what does it mean to be 'standard CMF product'?  Any CMF product should
>work just fine w/ Plone.

And so should Plone with any CMF-product - but it doesn't - see above, it
works perfectly without Plone...

> > They have changed just about everything, and have re-implemented _most_ of
> > it again... just my 2c.
>
>'re implemented' -- yes.  at the conference the party line I have totted is
>Plone is a 'realization' of the CMF.

When have you planned to release your own Zope ?

I don't get it... Plone is an complete alternative CMF, that just dosn't
work - what's the point of that ?

Why can't you work on CMF and make your product work with other products ?

I mean.. i.e. when you install Plone, it just deletes any workflow one
might have set up, and replaces them with Plone-workflow - hey, there's a
point in having multiple workflows and because one installs Plone, these
shouldn't be affected.

I must say that actually your approach to developing in open source,
reminds me of Microsoft's marketing methods... everything is now bundled
with Plone and you have taken away my choise... I belive the following
could be a story about Plone, and the way it affects your Zope installation:

McDonalds' employee: Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order you please?

Bill Gates: A big mac please.

McDonalds' employee: A big mac, a coke. $2.99.

Bill Gates: Sorry, I ordered just a big mac.

McDonalds' employee: The coke is part of the meal.

Bill Gates: I don't want the coke, just the Big Mac please.

McDonalds' employee: The coke is free and is part of the meal.

Bill Gates: Until recently the Big Mac was priced at $1.99?

McDonalds' employee: But now the Big Mac has new features. It is bundled
with a coke.

Bill Gates: But I already have something to drink so I don't want the coke.

McDonalds' employee: Then you won't get a Big Mac.

Bill Gates: I will take just the Big Mac and pay $1.99, ok?

McDonalds' employee: You can't separate the parts of the meal. They are
seamlessly integrated and it would destroy the Big Mac if we seperated them.

-oOo-

Plone: You can't seperate the workflow from our product. It is now
seamlessly integrated into Plone and Plone would therefore not be Plone
without it's own workflow... really... come on guys !

Regards,
Erik