[Zope-CMF] Customizing content types

David Chandek-Stark dc at duke.edu
Tue Aug 26 14:34:02 EDT 2003

I am engaged in a pilot project migrating a web site into Zope/CMF. This
may involve customizing some of the CMF content types (adding
properties) and/or creating new content types. I'm beyond the newbie
stage with Zope and the CMF, but can't see far enough down the road for
potential pitfalls. I'm concerned about upgrade problems with customized
CMF content and, in general, the sustainability of such a project.
Obviously it's a lot easier to simply make do with the CMF types,
perhaps bending the meaning of Dublin Core to accommodate the metadata
we want, but we'd prefer not to do that.

I've read the CMF Dogbowl how-to on Scriptable Type Information objects
and the ZopeLABS article on adding custom properties to CMF default
content. How does one determine whether to add a custom property to a
CMF type or to create a new scriptable type altogether?

Thanks for any help, advice, thoughts.
David

--
David Chandek-Stark