[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] Dublin Core Creator(s): a small proposal

Yuppie schubbe at web.de
Tue Dec 16 10:51:46 EST 2003

Hi!

Tres Seaver wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 18:13, Yuppie wrote:
>>listCreators() returns a sequence of Dublin Core Creator elements.
>>Creators() returns a string "; ".join( self.listCreators() )
>>Creator() returns the old value and is deprecated
>

> I don't like the notion of deprecating the DCMI-supplied name.  I
> wouldn't mind having it be just an alias for 'Creators', if that name
> works better.

Well. I still believe the best way to support the DCMI-supplied name is
not to use it as a method name. But as my proposal was to remove the
'Creator' method I can live with a method 'misusing' the name 'Creator'.

I hope everybody can live with these methods in the long run:

listCreators() -- sequence of Dublin Core Creator elements
Creators() -- string "; ".join( self.listCreators() )
Creator() -- alias for Creators()
listContributors() -- sequence of Dublin Core Contributor elements
Contributors() -- string "; ".join( self.listContributors() )

Regarding migration that would mean:

Creator() might return more than one creator and manipulating the owner
wouldn't have any effect. That breaks some existing code but should work
in most cases.

In CMF 1.5 Contributors() could be an alias of listContributors().
People are encouraged to switch to listContributors(). In CMF 1.6
Contributors() would return a string like Creators().

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
	Yuppie