[Zope-CMF] Multilingual site with CMF/Plone?

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:24:16 -0500

On 10 February 2003, Andy McKay said:
> The Plone installation, especially the windows installer comes with
> Localizer etc setup and a dozen languages ready installed.

FWIW, I had to install Localizer separately.  I was then able to create
multilingual Zope content; it's a bit awkward, but it seems to work.
All in all pretty spiffy.

However, I don't give a hoot about the language of the management
interface.  I certainly don't *mind* if it comes in the user's preferred
language, but my overriding concern is giving the content people a way
to add content in both English and French, and making it easy for site
users to read it in either English or French.

It looks like Localizer takes care of the second half of this very
nicely, but I really haven't a clue how to do the first with Plone.
>From everything I've read, it looks like I want to create a new kind
Plone content type that has bilingual subject, description, and body.
It looks like I cannot do this by simply tweaking an existing content
type, so writing a Product seems like the way to go.  So now I'm stuck
trying to figure out how to write a Product for Plone.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward@python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
Think honk if you're a telepath.