[Zope-CMF] Multilingual site with CMF/Plone?

Erik Lange erik@digitalforbruger.dk
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:12:24 +0100

At 04:16 PM 2/11/03, Magnus Heino wrote:

> > Is there any good reason to use Plone for this site, apart from the
> > spiffy-looking UI to impress the client?
>
>You get everything setup in a decent way, and its *very* easy to customize.
>
>Isn't that a reason good enough for any site?

Well... sorry, but no... not for sites that wants to do more than Plone can do.

Plone is a brilliant out-of-the-box product, but if you i.e. wants to use
CMF Portlets too, it's not so great...

From: http://ausum.freezope.org/cmfportlets/preview :

"It can be used with Plone, but, due to it behaves different to CMFDefault
even on simple tasks, you need to install it by hand. I'm working on that
installer, but current version has some issues regarding SkinnedFolders,
that although they can be worked out, it's up to Plone's development team
to fix."

We also gets reports from people saying, that our products doesn't work as
expected with Plone, allthough they fits beutifully in a default CMF
installation...

So I'm sorry to say this, but, unless Plone is _all_ you need, it's not the
obvious choice - you'll end up doing a lot of
coding/fiddling/customisation, to either your Plone-installation or the
other products you want to use, and thereby risks to ends up with a mess of
customised products, making it harder to update either Plone or the other
products later...

I believe, that Plone should do their stuff "the CMF way", instead of
trying to convince everybody else, to do their stuff "the Plone way". There
is a difference, which is quite an obstacle for new users, who aren't aware
of this difference and who belives that Plone is a "standard" CMF product...

Plone _is_ a nice product, and, it's close - but no cigar ;-)

Kind regards,
Erik Lange