[Zope-CMF] Multilingual site with CMF/Plone?

Erik Lange erik@digitalforbruger.dk
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:48:09 +0100

Dear Andy,

At 12:00 AM 2/12/03, Andy McKay wrote:
>>I believe, that Plone should do their stuff "the CMF way", instead of
>>trying to convince everybody else, to do their stuff "the Plone way".
>>There is a difference, which is quite an obstacle for new users, who
>>aren't aware of this difference and who belives that Plone is a
>>"standard" CMF product...
>
>One day someone is going to have to explain to me what a "standard CMF
>product" is.

Something that doen't "behaves different to CMFDefault even on simple tasks"...

>  Do you mean its one that uses CMF Default and uses whatever workflow
> comes with CMF even if its ugly / broken / incorrect or doesn't do what
> we want?

Basicly, yes ;-)

If there are errors like the ones you're stating above with the CMF, it
should be fixed in the CMF, not in a seperate product - IMHO.

Or do you consider Plone to be a bug-fix product to CMF ?

>I've developed Plone and CMF Default sites. Plone sites are faster and
>easier to develop, less code and give more features. I've used all the
>Zope products I want and all the CMF products I've wanted in my Plone
>sites without any issue.

Great!

I've said many times now, that I believe Plone is a great product for many
(maybe even most) uses. I just don't see it as the _right_ way_ (TM) of
doing things. CMF allows for many different aproaches to developing of
CMS-sites. Plone is just one way of doing it.

Have you tried using CMF Portlets or My Media Manager with Plone?

I'm not saying Plone is bad, but I believe that nothing is perfect in this
world... Why do you get so offended by this ? Because we don't participate
in making Plone perfect ? Well, if someone tells us of an error in one of
our products, we're thankfull for the info, even if the person doesn't
offer to correct the error.

>I really don't want to get into this argument again, it's clear we both
>have our opinions, so I'm not replying anymore. There has been enough
>discussion on this in other forums which has only saddened my belief in
>our "community". (At which point some people said "What you believed in
>the community?")

I really, really don't want to go into that either :-(

I'm trying as polite as I can, to help clear up why many people seems to be
having trouble developing their own sites, using Plone and other products.
It seems to me, that people aren't aware that Plone is doing many things
different than default CMF, and therefor expects that any product that
works with CMF, also works with Plone, without any changes made to the
product.

Now, if there are good reasons to doing things differently ( because CMF is
ugly / broken / incorrect or doesn't do what we want ), I truely believe
this should be fixed in CMF, and not in a seperate product, making either
everything depending on this seperate product or forcing people to make two
releases of their products, one for CMF and one for Plone.

Please don't take this personally :-(

Kind regards,
Erik Lange