[Zope-CMF] getting an object's factory

Mark McEahern marklists@mceahern.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:43:21 -0600

[Tres Seaver]
> Serializing content to the filesystem in a general way is a tricky
> problem.  If you have only a bounded set of content types to deal with,
> you can usually do a pretty good job (e.g., using the 'manage_FTPGet'
> representation should work pretty well for most of the CMFDefault's
> content types).

Thanks for the reply and the tip about getPortalTypeName.

Serializing sure is tricky.  My goal is to make a Zope Product that
roundtrips data from Zope to the filesystem with pluggable handlers for
arbitrary content types.  (It's inspired by FSDump.  <wink>)  I don't even
bother with manage_FTPGet, though, because AFAIK that doesn't retain
properties and metadata--does it?

It's very focused on the specific CMF content types we need so far.  I'm
hoping we can release it eventually.  Need to solve the customer's needs
first, though.

What I'm afeared of is that somehow this solution will be obsoleted by some
deep magic in Zope3.  I need to find out what's going on there as far as
making roundtripping between Zope and the filesystem Just Work (tm).

Cheers,

// m

-