[Zope-CMF] Re: [Plone-users] TextIndexNG on Word, PDF files

Damon Butler damon@hddesign.com
24 Jan 2003 14:00:25 -0600

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 13:11, Robert August Vincent II wrote:
> The type [File] is *supposed* to be application/octet-stream.
> That's the only way to ensure that it will present a Download dialog
> box, rather than just activating some browser plug-in.  (And even
> then, some flavours of MSIE will try to display instead of download
> the content, depending on the filename...)

Well, personally, I *hate* the default behavior. The CMF File content
object oughta pay attention to the MIME Type I specify and let the
browser handle how the user interacts with it. If the user sets their
browser to launch a helper, great! The user can still download it.

> I may be mistaken, but I believe that for your purposes you need to
> create a new Portal Type.

I think you're right. I've been experimenting with adding a new one
based on CMFDefault: Portal File ... but how do I go about
distinguishing this new "MSWord" or "PDF" type from the "File" type?
They all behave identically.

Do I have to instantiate the new content type as "Scriptable Type
Information" instead? Frankly, the documentation on the various Zope
sites is worse than Greek to me ... I can barely tell heads from tails
in the docs and HOWTOs.

--Damon