[Zope-CMF] Re: .css.dtml

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
27 Jan 2003 10:07:04 -0500

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 18:01, Alan Runyan wrote:
> > > it seems that we dont have DTMLDocument wired up
> > > to FSXXXX objects.  This would be a nice feature
> > > to add.. maybe have a FSDTMLDocument that is
> > > wired to the .dtmldoc extension?  this way we could
> > > have properties on objects?  (I think properties are
> > > already supported on FSXXXX objects).
> >
> > I actually wrote this for a client a month or so ago. I sent hazmat a
> > copy for his FileSystemSite. Not thinking it was CMF related (should the
> > CMF do that?) i didnt send it to zope-cmf. I have the code somewhere,
> > let me dig it out...
>
> I would think that all changes made to FilesystemSite should
> have been merged back into CMFCore.  I believe a DMTLDocument
> would be helpful -- yes.

-10

DTMLDocument can't decide whether it is content or software, and is
fatally flawed when used as a "method".

What you really want anyway is to have "static" CSS / Javascript files
mapped onto FSFile objects, and to allow setting certain headers via the
'.properties' file (or '.metadata', if it comes to that), perhaps even
for FSDTMLMethod and FSPageTemplate.  Andrew Sawyers is likely to do the
first as I write (skin files with '.css' and '.js' suffixes will be
FSFile objects soon;  you will need to make them '.css.dtml' if you
really need dynamism).

*Don't* talk about introducing DTMLDocument into the skins machinery;
you'll be opening a *big* bag of worms.

Tres.