[Zope-CMF] CMF 1.4 Roadmap

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
29 Jan 2003 09:08:36 -0500

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 00:18, Yuppie wrote:

> I propose to add these goals to the roadmap:
>

> 1.) i18n support for CMF Default
> --------------------------------
>
> Gitte Wange is working on this.
> <http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2003-January/016873.html>
>
> Tres volunteered to help her.
> <http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2002-November/016349.html>
>
> I'm also willing to help if more help is needed.

Gitte, can you point people to where your work-to-date is located?
Perhaps somebody who has real I18N needs could help? (My concern is all
theoretical these days, I'm afraid).

> 2.) DCWorkflow integration
> --------------------------
>
> I think DCWorkflow should ship with CMF 1.4. I don't know the reasons
> why it isn't already part of CMF 1.3.

It has been a goal to ship DCWorkflow as part of CMF for quite a while
now;  we had some additional goals which made it harder than just
including the product in the release tarball:

  - We wanted to rename the product to 'CMFWorkflow'.

  - Any rename (see below) requires a mandatory conversion script to
    repair persistent instances which "knew" the old location of their
    classes.

> ChrisW proposed to move DCWorkflow to CMFCore. What do other people
> think? Any volunteers to work on this?

-1 Putting it into a different package will mean breaking lots of
sites:  the workflow instances in the ZODB know that their class can be
found in 'Products.DCWorkflow'.

> 3.) Zope 2.7 compatibility
> --------------------------
>
> I guess CMF 1.4 will be out before Zope 2.7, so we can't guarantee Zope
> 2.7 compatibility. But CMF 1.5 might come too late, so I think we should
> try to make CMF 1.4 work with Zope 2.7.
>
> I don't know if there are other issues, but at least CMF 1.4 should work
> with Python 2.2.2.
> <http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2003-January/018482.html>
>
> That means collector #68 has to be resolved.
> <http://collector.zope.org/CMF/68>

Any fix for that bug in the near-term must treat Python 2.2 as a
second-class citizen:  for instance, it should test sys.version_info,
and only swap out the 'urlparse' behavior for newer Pythons.  Running
Zope 2.6 under Python 2.2.x is still unsupported.

Tres.