[Zope-CMF] Inconsistent CMF Objects, ZMI issue, how to correct/convert objec ts ?

Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:55:26 -0500

Hello,

I just tried to upgrade my current 2.5.1+CMF-1.2 to 2.6.1+CMF1.3 ... =
Without
success ... For some reason, with some Documents the default view is =
found,
but not for others.

After doing some digging, I discovered this may be related to the fact =
that
not all CMF objects seem to be equal. Some "Documents" have a document
looking icon, some don't.

A while ago, someone had mentionned, in one thread or another, that =
creating
CMF objects from the ZMI was bad somehow. I think I am now suffering =
from
being guilty of doing such things when I didn't know any better (Other =
than
the wrong Icon, everything seemed to work ok).

When I started with Zope I wrote a batch loader similar to =
site_loader.py
... but in Perl, and for the CMF ... Only I modeled it's behavior =
after what
I saw in the ZMI ... I know this was a mistake! But now I'm stuck with
thousands of "bad" CMF objects it seems.

So, the question now is how do I fix this? Why is the ZMI way of doing
things wrong, and if it's known to be wrong why is it even there? I'd =
like
to better understand this behavior ...

Is there a way for me to fix the objects in place? Possibly by =
exporting as
XML, editing the XML, and re-importing? (A technique, believe it or =
not,
I've used successfully recently :)

I could also write a script that takes ALL objects, create a new object
PROPERLY, migrates the properties, and renames ... But I want to make =
sure I
use the RIGHT methods and everything this time ...

Any help in dealing with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jean-Fran=E7ois Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support / Soutien de =
syst=E8mes et
developement de services Internet
GeoAccess Division / Division G=E9oAcc=E8s
Canada Center for Remote Sensing / Centre canadien de =
t=E9l=E9d=E9tection
Natural Resources Canada /  Ressources naturelles Canada
Phone / T=E9l=E9phone: (613) 992-4902
Fax / T=E9l=E9copieur: (613) 947-2410
http://atlas.gc.ca