[Zope-CMF] Using CMF/Plone for Document Management?

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Oct 30 19:35:37 EST 2003

>I am in process of selecting scanners and OCR software and will be saving
>the documents to the file system.  The question is how to easily get
>everything into cmf/plone.  That's why I mentioned the use of TextIndexNG
>and CMFExternalFile.  I am thinking if I can use something like
>CMFExternalFile, I can manage volumes of files and add them but I need to be
>able to search them as well as auto set meta data on import such as
>department etc.

You can easily upload batches with FTP, WebDAV, an ExternalMethod
script, a script like load_site.py, or a script that attaches by ZEO.

Each instance of CMFExternalFile must be pointed to a file, which makes
batching other than by script difficult. This is also really the only
way to set metadata on import. (I suppose you could upload via one of
the standard methods to a custom container (or script) that would
understand a naming convention or something and move the object/set its
properties as necessary.)

          --jcc

--
"Code generators follow the 80/20 rule. They solve most of the problems, but not all of the problems. There are always features and edge cases that will need hand-coding. Even if code generation could build 100 percent of the application, there will still be an endless supply of boring meetings about feature design."
(http://www.devx.com/java/editorial/15511)