[Zope-CMF] Re: Stock skins

Yuppie schubbe at web.de
Sun Sep 14 13:59:05 EDT 2003

Hi!

Edward Muller wrote:

> Re: 'all browsers'
>
> Are we talking Mosaic? Netscape 2 or 3?

Don't think anybody does.

> I think the best someone could ask for in a modern environment, when not
> using browser specific code sections is the following browsers:
>
> IE 5.5+ on Windows
> IE Mac (But I think this is being replaced because MS is no longer
> developing it, plus it has differences from the Windows version)
> Mozilla/Netscape (aka Gecko targets)
> Konqueror/Safari (aka KHTML targets)
> Opera
>
> The page should 'degrade nicely' in other environments, which <div>
> structured pages usually do. The changes I've made for my test site
> works on the above browsers. While all of those changes are not
> necessarily appropriate for the stock templates, they could be adapted.
>
> Mind you, I am not a web designer, but I do deal with enough HTML on
> client projects where I have to constantly re-do the HTML output of
> popular WYSIWYG editors so that it is usable and readable in
> template-able environments under editors like vim/emacs (i.e. what I
> code in).
>
> What's everyone's opinion on browser support?

I also ask for Netscape 4.7x. It doesn't have to look exactly like in
current browsers, but at least it has to be usable.

You might want to have a look at this page:
<http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/nn4-layouts.shtml>

Most ZPTs in CMFDefault produce valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional. (The
DOCTYPE declaration is still missing.)
Some ZPTs violate XHTML by using wrap="soft" in textareas. I can live
with that if there's no other way to make textareas usable in Netscape 4.7x.
Some ZPTs still need to be worked on to produce valid XHTML.

Of course there is a lot more to do. Valid XHTML doesn't mean good html
and I like what you propose.

Just my 2 cents.

Yuppie