[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMFActionIcons: permissions

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Tue Apr 27 11:26:27 EDT 2004

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> Is there any good reason why CMFActionIcons has its own permissions?
>>
>> If not, I'd like to replace 'Manage Site' by 'Manage portal' and
>> import all permissions from Products.CMFCore.CMFCorePermissions.
>

> +1
>
> I doubt it was Tres' intention to have that package contain different
> permissions.

Permissions, like exceptions, events, and interfaces, are part of the
"public API" of a product, and deserve to be highlighted.

I actually prefer to have each product have its own 'permissions.py'
module, which either imports more generic permissions from elsewhere
(AccessControl.Permissions, CMFCore.{CMFCoreP,p}ermissions), or else
declares any new ones needed.  This puts the naming of the permissions
(but not the string values!) under control of the product author.

While we are at it, why don't we move the ones in CMFCore to a
'permissions.py' module, and leave behind the 'CMFCorePermissions.py'
module for backward compatibility.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com