[Zope-CMF] Re: CMFUid isn't generating real uids

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Mon Aug 16 01:06:59 EDT 2004

yuppie wrote:
> Hi!
>

> Christian Heimes wrote:
>
>> I had a short look at CMFUid because I hoped we could replace the AT
>> uid generator and lookup tool with a more general tool that's also
>> working with non Archtypes types. I was disapointed to shocked as I
>> saw how the uids are generated.
>

> Hope you've recovered from your shock!
>

> UID != UUID
>
> The way UIDs are generated is policy. Generating UUIDs would be overkill
> for the use cases implemented in CMFDefault. If you want to expose the
> UID to users, 128-bit UUIDs aren't very useful.

Genertaing an UIID costs nearly nothing
And why should any UID or UUID ever be presented to the user?

I think UUID should be default. If it is overkill in a given case, then
it should be replaced.
But I never want to run the risk to hit duplicate UID's when I import
some documents from one Data.fs into an other.
UID's are just to restricted to be worthwile.

Robert