[Zope-CMF] CMF or Plone Applications?

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Sat Dec 18 19:26:34 EST 2004

Thanks for the reply Dieter.  I'll probably give this a go.  It may
take a while but at least I'll know my own css intimately. Hopefully
have something of a tableless situation that will with fewer moving
parts and I am hoping at least 60% less css.  Plone is large and fairly
RAM intensive so maybe there will be another benefit here.  I can
always use the zpt default as a guide (though it uses tables) and see
where it takes me with divs.  There are many css tricks these days and
though the Plone tabs are nice there are plenty of well documented
navigational possibilities.

I did not like the way the dropdowns worked for me in Plone.  I work
with a Mac most of the time and they line up a bit differently in each
browser.  I have a nice tableless piece to start with -  the big
picture. So it will be all the smaller parts and then a way to show
templates.  So I'll need to code something there to pick them up. The
main objective will be small headers, lightweight css , css broken into
smaller descriptive pieces so that I am not looking at a huge css at
any time. Just say a header.css, menu.css or other similar small pieces
which are much easier to interpret when viewed independently.  I think
this will be time consuming for sure but maybe worth it.

I don't know what else I'll be missing since there seems to be good zpl
implementations of almost all the parts I need as opposed to Plone - at
least on the surface. But when I think Plone on top of CMF on top of
Zope I like the goal of just CMF on top of Zope with Archetypes.  I am
sure this will give me lots of flexibility for applications development
and no worry about GPL in commercial applications.

Regards,
David