[Zope-CMF] [dev] Action category inconsistencies: a small proposal

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Feb 20 12:06:48 EST 2004

Hi!

I'm struggling with the use of 'folder' and 'object' categories.

The basic CMFDefault policy seems to be:

   'object' for Actions of contentish objects
   'folder' for Actions of folderish objects

But:

- Topic is folderish and has 'object' Actions
- 'folderContents' for contentish objects has the category 'object',
   but is an Action related to the container

Are there other than historical reasons for that?

I propose to switch to this policy:

   'object' for Actions of contentish *and* folderish objects
   'folder' for Actions related to the container

(This would be consistent with the current Permission contexts of these
categories.)

We just would have to change 'Folder' and 'Skinned Folder' Action
categories and the 'folderContents' Action. But there is still a
backwards compatibility problem. I guess we need a migration script for
existing sites. Or maybe we can use the 'portal_configuration' tool Tres
was talking about?

(I also like to move 'folderContents' for folderish objects to the
TypeInfos: This way we can label it 'Subtopics' for Topic.)

Any thoughts? If there are no objections I'll change that in CMF HEAD.

Cheers,
	Yuppie