[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMF 1.5 roadmap?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Feb 24 18:11:11 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:41:14PM -0500, Chris McDonough wrote:
> I'd like to see Archetypes in there.

+sys.maxint

>  The reason I'd like to see it in
> there is because:
>
> a) It works very well and is quite stable, very well-written,
> well-maintained, just generally a good piece of software all-around.
> b) It already works with plain CMF.

I had some pain with this a couple weeks ago, but I think my
versions were a bit dated. I should give it another go.

> You just need to plug it in to the
> repository and maybe tweak a couple of things like stylesheets.

I found that also needed to add several tools that ship with Plone
but not CMFDefault. These might be made optional with some
work on the skins, or maybe it's again due to me trying
too old a version.

> d) I'd like to see people rally around CMF rather than balkanizing into
> smaller groups.  It'd be good to take stock of work that other folks
> have done and allow folks to share their respective burdens by
> consolidating.  The Zope community is still too small for balkanization
> to work in the long run IMHO.
>
> I'm not sure if any of these reasons are compelling, really, and I can
> understand why it might be more advantageous to leave Archetypes out of
> the mix politically and practically.  That said, I think there's an
> opportunity for consolidation here without much pain, and I think
> Archetypes is tremendously useful and takes an substantial amount of
> pain out of writing CMF applications.
>
> There are some problems with this:
>
> - CPS Schema is a competitor, and the CPS guys might have issues
>   with it.

Good question.

> - Zope 3 Schema is a competitor.

*shrug* I don't suspect this will be relevant for a couple
more zope versions. Can you use z3 schema in z2 today?

> - There really should be a representative equivalent of
>   CMFDefault-written-with-Archetypes to make it clear how
>   to write CMF applications with Archetypes.

Does that need to be part of the core?
If so, we could always ship that with cmf 1.5.1 or something.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com