[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMF 1.5 roadmap?

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed Feb 25 10:10:36 EST 2004

yuppie wrote:

> Tres Seaver wrote:
>
>> yuppie wrote:
>>
>>> A second zpt skin? Or modifying the existing one?
>>

>> A second one, I think.  We can kill off the old "nouvelle", etc. and
>> replace them with a "slick" skin (or something :).
>
> Who will maintain another skin? I think we should focus on one skin that
> demos the possibilities of CMF. A second skin might make sense to demo
> the skin switching features, but there shouldn't be more than 2 or 3
> files in the additional layer.

OK, that was the original intent of the 'nouvelle' bit.  One thing I am
slightly worried about is adding the dependency on Epoz;  we might need
to think about how we degrade gracefully in it absence.

>>> - What about the 'portal_configuration' tool you mentioned earlier?

<snip>

> I'd love to see a tool like that in CMF.
>
>>> - Can we add a DC Workflow instead of DefaultWorkflow by default?
>>
>> +1
>
> 'Classic', not 'Revision 2'. Right?

I think so.  I never really understood what the use cases were for
'Revision 2' :).

>>> - I'd like to add Zope 2.7's OrderSupport to PortalFolder. CPS and
>>> Plone already use the order API. But I'm afraid this is controversial.
>>
>> I think the controversy died out once OrderedFolder landed in the Zope
>> core.  Can anybody point to links where the controversy was hashed out
>> w.r.t. CMF?
>
> I don't remember a controversy w.r.t. CMF. So maybe this is less
> controversial than I thought. This is what I want to do:
>
> - Add a copy of Zope 2.7's OrderSupport to CMF that is used if we can't
> import OrderSupport from Zope. Can be removed again as soon as Zope 2.7
> or higher is required for CMF.

Forks suck.  Although this isn't an intentional fork, over time it will
take on aspects of one (e.g., bugs fixed in the Zope version but not in
CMF).  Can we wrap it up in a conditional import, so that we reuse the
2.7 version if it is present?  Then at least the bitrot that the fork
incurs will be resolvable by upgrading Zope.

> - Add OrderSupport to PortalFolder.
>
> - Add an UI similar to that of Zope 2.7's Ordered Folder to
> folder_contents.pt.

+1.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com