[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMF 1.5 roadmap?

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Feb 27 10:13:43 EST 2004

Hi!

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 04:43:07PM +0100, yuppie wrote:
> | Well. The starting point of the discussion was this:

> | >Why not CMFFormController? IMHO, it is essential.
> |
> | My point is: It might be a nice to have, but I can't see why
> | CMFFormController is essential.
>
> So, its not essential, but it would be nice if we could have something
> that does a similar job. 'something' should not be a collection of
> python scripts, IMO.

Agreed ;) I try to be more specific than "hope we can do without
CMFFormController":

Things I like about CMFFormController:
--------------------------------------

- Forms are submitted to themselves.

- The handling of state information like error messages and status is
   standardized.

- Some customizations are easier.

- We can learn from it.

Things I don't like about CMFFormController:

- It 'bypasses' Zope and CMF infrastructure instead of improving the
   existing features:
   o The State object duplicates the concept of the REQUEST object.
   o ControllerPageTemplates / ControllerPythonScripts replace
     PageTemplates / PythonScripts instead of improving them / adding
     hooks to plug into them.
   o FormController actions duplicate the concept of invisible CMF
     Actions.

- In this context I can't see a systematic difference between
   validators and 'actions' that modify the data. Both can be seen as
   state transformations. Methods like 'document_edit' should be
   configured and called the same way as validators are called - I
   can't see why we need the traverse_to actions.

Cheers,
	Yuppie