[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMF 1.5 roadmap?

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Sun Feb 29 02:42:37 EST 2004

yuppie wrote:
> Things I like about CMFFormController:
> --------------------------------------
>
> - Forms are submitted to themselves.

Hello,

a small observation and question from an uninitiated developer's point
of view:

In my experience (mostly from a DTML-point of view, but not exclusively)
I have often found that self-referencing (or rather self-sumitting)
forms are extremeley hard to maintain.

I still mostly work in DTML (for various reasons) and I try to keep
*any* logic in forms, other than the unavoidlable UI-logic, in separat
scripts. Usually i have this structure (roughly)

myPage_html (The main DTML object displaying the form)
myPage_form (The DTML object containing the form itself)
myPage_validate (a pythion script that myPage_form submits to)

myPage_form submits to myPage_validate that performs various checks and
then redirects to, e.g. myPage_html if successfull,or an error page
displaying any errors if unsuccessfull.

So, with that background, may I ask why forms that submit to themselves
are considered a good feature from an application design point of view?

Thnx,

/dario