[Zope-CMF] Changes to content.talkback in CMFCore may break compatibility in old CMF products (not CMF!)

Gregoire Weber gregweb at gmx.ch
Fri Jan 16 12:22:10 EST 2004

Hi all!

Question
--------

does someone set 'content.talkback' to something different than
'DiscussionItemContainer()' in a product?

Details
-------

Begin of january I made a change to CMF/CMFCore/CMFCatalogAware.py
(version 1.17 and newer) to allow arbitrary callable attributes
(opaque items) manage_after*/manage_before* hooks beeing called on
delete, add and clone events.

This change was hold backwards compatible with the 'talkback'
attribute which holds discussion items.

Yuppie and I now tend to remove the special case code for the 'talkback'
attribute in 'opaqueItems' and declaring that 'DiscussionItemContainer'
is implemeting 'ICallableOpaqueItemWithHooks').

See also: <http://cvs.zope.org/CMF/CMFCore/CMFCatalogAware.py?rev=1.17&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup>
Code changes: <http://cvs.zope.org/CMF/CMFCore/CMFCatalogAware.py.diff?r1=1.16&r2=1.17>

As we can only oversee the implications in the CMFCore and the
CMFDefault codebase I ask you as product developer to have a look
into your code!

If you don't do that or inherit from DiscussionItemContainer you're
on the save side.

Tres? What's your opinion?

Gregoire

P.S.: Crossposted this on the CMF- and Plone-Devel-List to catch as
      much developers as possible.