[Zope-CMF] [dev] Actions and CMFSetup: naming conventions proposal

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Jul 14 14:36:47 EDT 2004

yuppie wrote at 2004-7-13 23:53 +0200:
>'action':
>---------
>
>The 'getAction' dict uses 'url', DCWorkflow 'actbox_url' and the label
>'URL (formatted)'. CMFSetup uses 'action_expr'.
>
>Proposal: Use always 'url', except of internal names.
>ToDo: Change the label in 'editToolsActions.dtml' and the CMFSetup
>attributes.

While this information is often used as an URL, it can well
be used for different purposes (e.g. as an "object" specification
for high end UI controls).

We have such a use and a colleague was confused by the name "url"
returned in the action info.

Maybe, we find a more general name. "action" were not too bad, if
the complete thing were not called "action", too.

Moreover, the information in an "ActionInformation" and the
action info dictionary (returned by "listFilteredActionsFor")
is related but not equal. Maybe, we should reflect this in the
names. In this respect, the names used by "CMFSetup" are well chosen:
"action_expr" is the expression that when evaluated results in the
"action" (or "url" or whatever good name we find).
In my view, it is useful to use related but different names,
when the things are related but different.

--
Dieter