[Zope-CMF] [dev] OrderedContainer and hidden sub-objects

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Tue Mar 9 07:41:54 EST 2004

Hi!

Currently I'm working on integrating OrderSupport in CMF for the 1.5
release.

I had a look at the implementation in Plone 2

- to see if there is something CMF can learn from Plone
- to avoid the need to override CMF code in Plone

I found that Plone 2 has (compared to Zope 2.7) a modified
moveObjectsByDelta method to handle the problem of hidden sub-objects.
It's confusing if the move methods move sub-objects relative to the
complete list of sub-objects, but you see only a subset of this list.
( <http://plone.org/collector/1823> )

CMFDefault just uses hidden sub-objects (e.g. the tools) in the site
root, but nethertheless, this problem should be resolved in the
framework. Moves should be relative to the visible subset.

I even think adding an optional 'subset_ids' argument to OrderSupport in
Zope 2.7 could be the way to go. So (in the long run) CMF and Plone
don't have to override moveObjectsByDelta at all.

The downside of this: It will make moveObjectsByDelta slower.

Any thoughts?

BTW:

- As discussed in this thread
<http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2004-March/020373.html> , the
way the Plone implementation generates the subset is deprecated. It
might return an other list than the list the users see and will trigger
a deprecation warning in CMF 1.5.

- Most of the OrderSupport code in Plone is copied 'n' pasted from Zope.
I couldn't find a copyright notice, license conditions, disclaimer and a
note marking changes as required by the ZPL.

Cheers,
	Yuppie