[Zope-CMF] Re: Re: [Plone-users] Date based snapshots

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Fri May 7 04:40:38 EDT 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 13:53, Dylan Jay wrote:

> > DirectoryStorage has the capability of storing extra history for specific
> > classes, designed for exactly this purpose. If you are not tied to
> > FileStorage check out http://dirstorage.sourceforge.net/keepclass.html
>
> History by itself seems fine as long as the entire history is available.
> I'm thinking of a situation where the costs of keeping every version of
> every object available in a production environment are too high.

DirectoryStorage would let you easily keep every revision of every document
object throughout history, yet use normal packing regime to discard old
revisions of the objects that make up a ZCatalog, for example.

> In this
> case you would want to be able to bring in the appropriate versions from
> secondary storage and combine them in someway with the current versions so
> the currently supported diffing in zope/plone will work. I'm not sure that
> DirectoryStorage would require any less hacking to do this than
> FileStorage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DirectoryStorage would let you restore the old revisions just by writing new
files, and you could do this without taking the storage down. Thats
marginally easier.

--
Toby Dickenson