[Zope-CMF] Re: Is unmodified CMF useless? Some Plone questions.

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Tue May 11 05:41:43 EDT 2004

Peter Shute (NUW) wrote:

> I've been playing with Zope and now CMF for a few days now.  I've been
> trying to see what they can do, and have come to the conclusion that without
> a lot of modifications the basic sites they create are fairly useless for
> anything.
>
> Is that correct, or have I missed some basic features?

No that is correct. Think of them as advanced versions of .php and .asp.
Although that is completely unfair. They hav a lot more to offer than
those. But it generally feels like those.

> I've now installed Plone, and this is much more like what I was expecting,
> so here are some questions:
>
> 1. I don't quite understand the relationship between CMF and Plone.  They're
> both Zope products, but is Plone dependent on CMF or the other way around?

Plone is built on top of the CMF. But it is very much changed.

> 2. Does this mailing list cover Plone as well as CMF, or is there a more
> appropriate one?  I couldn't see one on the Zope site.

There is a CMF list. But not much going on. Forget CMF, and just
concentrate on Plone if that's your bag.

> 3. I installed the latest CMF, then uninstalled it before installing Plone,
> because I noticed that it came with CMF.  Am I now running an older version
> of CMF, and if so what happens if I upgrade it?

Plone doesn't nesseceraly run on the latest version of the CMF. Allways
use the one recommended for Plone.

> 4. How do you say Plone?  Does is sound like "clone", or is it PL-1?

It rhymes with clone

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/