[Zope-CMF] News and events not always visible in topics

Peter Shute (NUW) pshute at nuw.org.au
Wed May 19 23:28:16 EDT 2004

>What you describe would be quite disturbing, but so far I've never seen
>behavior as you describe. We're running Plone sites with Topis for quite a
>while now and *never* got into situation like you describe. Which version
of
>software you're using - maybe your problem is in those (I recall cataloging
>problem with some of Zope-2.6 series but AFAIR it was metadata problem)

I have installed Zope 2.7.0,  python 2.3.3 (win32). Not sure exactly how to
tell what CMF version I have, but looking at the product "CMFCore" it's
1.4.3.  I have CMFPlone 2.0.1.

I feel that the key to the problem is that when I create new news items or
events, I don't have access to the subject field on the newsitem_edit_form
or event_edit_form.  I had been going in via the management interface to
enter keywords into the subject field.

I'm guessing that topics use data in the catalog, not in the items
themselves (could someone please confirm and elaborate on that?), and that
entering keywords via the management interface doesn't cause the item to be
recataloged.  I'm fairly sure this is correct, because manually starting a
recatologing fixes it, and clearing the catalog results in no items
appearing in any topics. If you've never seen the problem, it may just be
that you've never entered keywords this way.

I now see that I have access to the subject field via metadata_edit_form by
clicking the news properties tab.  That solves the problem for news items.

However events don't have this properties tab, but I can manually add
/metadata_edit_form to the end of the item's URL and get to it that way.
Does anyone know how I can add this tab to events?