[Zope-CMF] [dev] CMFSetup roadmap?

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Mon Nov 1 08:06:58 EST 2004

Hi!

Is anybody using CMFSetup with other products than CMFDefault? Are there
any plans to use it for Plone, CPS or ZC products?

While CMFSetup is already useful for replicating / backing up /
restoring customized settings or loading settings from xml files, many
features are still experimental or not implemented at all.

AFAICT the next steps should be:

1.) Implementing an example setup for add-ons

I still don't know how to use CMFSetup for add-ons. As long as we don't
have a working example in CMF, I don't expect any third-party products
using CMFSetup.

See also:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2004-September/021236.html

2.) Using the CMFSetup site factory for CMFDefault

Currently CMFSetup is not used to set up new CMF sites. I think we
should move ASAP to the CMFSetup site factory. That's necessary to start
deprecating parts of the old setup machinery, e.g. FTI data and Actions
settings. Maintaining two different setup machineries and keeping their
default setup data in sync is a pain.

Don't know if we should wait until someone implements all the missing
import/export handlers. I wrote a small import handler that uses
PortalGenerator to perform the missing setup steps. Seems to work quite
well.

Any comments and volunteers are welcome!

Cheers,
	Yuppie