[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMFSetup roadmap?

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Nov 12 05:49:16 EST 2004

Hi!

Tres Seaver wrote:
> The current machinery allows for a redistributable, on-disk profile to
> govern site configuration;  it is *not* aimed at allowing arbitrary
> third-party extensions to an existing profile.
>
> The major problem is that profiles represent policy, and add-on products
> can't possibly be smart enough to know the policy.

But that's only one side of the coin. Profiles also represent knowledge
about the configured products, and site admins will often not be smart
enough to set reasonable defaults.

Creating a custom profile, I want to start from a "default base
profile", add "default add-on profile fragments" of optional components
and customize everything by changing some default settings. The layer
model proposed by Martijn seems to be an attractive way to combine
fragments and to keep customizations separated from defaults.

> We might extend the
> setup machinery to allow products to register "available profile
> fragments", which would require an explicit gesture from the site admin
> to be incorporated into the current site config.

I think this is necessary if we want to make CMFSetup more than a nice
add-on.

Cheers,
	Yuppie