[Zope-CMF] cmfuid

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Sat Nov 20 16:30:35 EST 2004

> I was wondering if people had opinions on making UIDs compliant with
> the
> IETF draft at
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-03.txt
> instead of using a database-generated serial number.
>
> Benefits:
>
>  - No database writes necessary to generate a unique id (as long as
>    you have probability/entropy on your side).
>
>  - Well-understood format due to spec.
>
> Downsides:
>
>  - Need to be careful to have a viable source of entropy on the system
>    you're generating UUIDs on if you want to use "Version 4" UUIDs
>    (128-bit completely random numbers).

I like the standards-compliance, but so far haven't found a need for
UIDs or UUIDs in general.

IIRC the current implementation was meant more as a "first cut" -
Gregoire (who seems the main culprit), please correct me if I am wrong.
There was some exchange on the lists about CMFUid vs the concept of
UUIDs and I believe the outcome was that CMFUid does not claim to
generate UUIDs at all, just UIDs. I'm not sure if true UUIDs are even
in the scope of CMFUid.

jens