[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] enhancing Actions: a rough proposal

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Mon Nov 22 10:02:12 EST 2004

Hi Lennart!

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>
>> Tools are no longer Action providers. Products add their Actions to
>> the ActionsTool like they add their skin layers to the SkinsTool.
>
> [...]
>
>> - Workflow Actions:
>> No idea how they could benefit from the new machinery. If we don't
>> change them, CMFActionIcons doesn't become obsolete.
>

> These to are closely related. Workflow actions are basically totally
> dynamic, and calculated by which transations are valid and have actions.
> Completely removing the ability to be an action provider means that for
> each workflow transition you have, you have to also create an action, in
> a completely different part of the site, which "sho me" expression must
> match the "is possible" expression of the transition.
>
> So my gut reaction to this is a big -1.

Sorry for the misleading sentence. I don't propose to remove the
possibility to register Action providers. I just propose to get rid of
ActionProviderBase.

TypesTool and WorkflowTool handle Actions in a customized way, so those
two are not so easy to integrate in the proposed machinery. If we don't
find a satisfying solution for those, we can leave them as they are.

> Making the actions tool an ordered folder and making those actions
> proper items is fine. But I see no reason why you can't have action
> providers.

Ok.

> Possibly, instead of the current action provider system, there could be
> an action provide plugin list, where one simply is an ordered folder,
> but where DCWorkflow can add it's plugin. But this seems to me just a
> very complicated way of having action providers...

Don't know if this covers all use cases: Am I right that normally there
is only a small set of workflow Actions needed by a site, even if it has
many different workflows? I mean the set of properties like title and
the URL expression.

If this is the case, a custom plugin workflow category could ask the
WorkflowTool which workflow actions are available.

> Also, the Five integration of actions and Zope3 menues I'm working on
> now becomes if not impossible, then really complicated. I think we
> definitely need a way to still create actions on the fly, and not only
> have persistent collections of actions.

Yes. That should not be a problem.

Cheers,
	Yuppie