[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] enhancing Actions: a rough proposal

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Tue Nov 23 14:49:10 EST 2004

Hi Lennart!

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>> Don't know if this covers all use cases: Am I right that normally
>> there is only a small set of workflow Actions needed by a site, even
>> if it has many different workflows? I mean the set of properties like
>> title and the URL expression.
>

> I'm not sure I understand the question. Or rather, I'm sure I don't
> udnerstand it. :)

I try it again with other words, referring to this part of your previous
mail:

> Completely removing the ability to be an action provider means that for each workflow transition you have, you have to also create an action, in a completely different part of the site, which "sho me" expression must match the "is possible" expression of the transition.

These are the Action specific properties currently maintained in
DCWorkflow transactions:

     name(=title), url, category

Given more than one workflow has a transaction like 'publish': Would
these properties be different in each workflow or would we define the
same properties again and again?

Actions and transactions don't have to be unrelated if they are stored
in different places. The ActionsTool could query the available workflow
transactions and return the corresponding Actions. This way we don't
have to define redundant permissions / guards / expressions.

If you are using the ActionIconsTool, you already have to define icon,
title and priority in a different tool.

But changing workflow Actions would be the last step of my proposal and
not a necessary one, so there is no need to find a consensus for now.

Cheers,
	Yuppie