[Zope-CMF] Re: cmfuid

Tim Hoffman timh at zute.net
Tue Nov 23 18:19:44 EST 2004

HI Chris

> Maybe, I guess it depends how complex you wanted to make the tool.  I
> have no intrinsic love for UUIDs.  I don't need or necessarily want the
> default uid tool to generate UUIDs (I can subclass the tool if I want to
> do this).  It's fine if it just generates integer ids if that's simplest
> for everybody else.

Something I have been trying to work out, is why the dislike for
UUID styles uid's.  Also do uuid's need to be universally unique
or just unique within a site or a set of sites?

I have been using our own home grown uid tool, and uids in CMF for about 2 years
with quite a bit of success. We used the following elements to construct
the id's which where SHA based.

time + random num + path of object + client IP + server IP + instance path

Whilst it's possible that the someone else might be able to generate the same string to put
into sha, within the set of machines we run/manage it is pretty well impossible, which
is all we where worried about.

Then we only have to worry about the possibility of sha collisions, which would be pretty unlikely.

Tim