[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] enhancing Actions: a rough proposal

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Nov 26 03:27:41 EST 2004

Hi Dieter!

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Then stay with the current action model! Why inventing a new one?
>
>    Your proposal breaks all existing instances and
>    all tools that build on the current CMFCore action model.
>
> I have many dozens of instances and have built dozens of tools
> that use the current action model.
>
> Maybe, you understand that I am quite hostile to your proposal.

Yes. Seems to be time to elaborate on some details. I hope this will
allay your concerns a bit.

1.) timetable

For now I just want to replace normal Actions. Type Actions and workflow
Actions are out of the scope of the more detailed proposal I'm going to
write based on this discussion.

In the long run I'd like to use the new machinery for all kinds of
Actions. But that could be done in different ways. Moving all Actions to
the ActionsTool is just one option. Reusing the new machinery in the
TypesTool and the WorkflowTool is an other. I don't think we should
decide that now.

2.) migration

The proposed folderish Action provider will be able to live side by side
with all existing Action providers. Technically it is just another
Action provider.

Migrating Actions of existing instances can be done using CMFSetup:
exporting - importing - done.

Code using listFilteredActionsFor will not be affected at all.

The only problem I can see is code that queries / manipulates Action
providers directly. I guess 90% of that code is setup code. My proposal
is based on the assumption that people will have to rewrite the setup of
their products anyway: CMFSetup introduces a completely different setup
machinery, and I doubt it would be a good idea to maintain the old *and*
the new machinery in the long run.

> Your proposal may be something for CMF-NG (or CMF2 or CMF for Zope 3)
> but it should not remove essential infrastructure in CMF
> (like "ActionProviderBase") that are essential for todays tools
> build on top of CMF.

Removing ActionProviderBase is not an essential part of my proposal. But
at least I'd like to recommend using the new centralized Action provider
and change the products in the CMF repository accordingly.

Cheers,
	Yuppie