[Zope-CMF] Re: modifying TypeInformation's properties

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Mon Sep 6 15:14:29 EDT 2004

yuppie wrote:

> Hi!
>

> Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
>
>> Portlets are 100% content objects, not presentation objects, but they
>> are not documents either..
>>
>> Then we have CMF types that are definitely not content types such as
>> styles, layout modifiers, page blocks, .... These are 100%
>> presentation objects, but the underlying logic is the same as with
>> any other CMF type
>>
>> we have made a clear separation between content and presentation
>> objects - see:
>> http://cvs.nuxeo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/CPS3/CPSSkins/doc/CPS3-Integration.txt?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>>

>> The current FTI in CMF is designed for document types mainly - for
>> instance there is a 'discussion alllowed' property which only make
>> sense in the context of a document or something that can be added
>> comments too.
>

> Ok.

Hi!

>> So the current issue is about making it more flexible so that it does
>> not make too many assumptions about the type of objects that it holds
>> information about.
>

> What I still don't understand is why making it replaceable is not an
> option. All these kinds of types seem to be well defined and need a
> predictable interface to work with the related products.
>
> IMHO PropertyManager is useful to modify the properties of unique
> objects, not of groups of objects.
>

> Cheers,
>     Yuppie

There is a notion in philosphy called defining something "in
comprehension" (or "in intension")
This is what we do here: by setting an attribute on unique objects what
we have achieved is that we have created a group of objects but we never
ever need to know explicitly what objects are in the group.

we don't want an extensive list of portlets for instance stored
somewhere - which would be a pain to manage.

this is why the property manager is used in this very case to define a
group of objects that share the same property (the unique property of a
group of objects). We are not interested in the properties of unique
objects.

Cheers /JM