[Zope-CMF] Re: Plone participation in the CMF list

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Aug 1 13:19:52 EDT 2005

On 1 Aug 2005, at 17:53, Geoff Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:30:20 +0100, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>
>> It would help everyone if the CMF side opened up a little
>> more to ideas coming down from Plone, and if the Plone side stopped
>> reinventing wheels that would be much better off (and benefit
>> everyone) in the CMF or other non-Plone core products.
>>

> Perhaps some specifics would help.
>
> * What wheels do you think Plone has reinvented?
>
> * Are there any particular things in Plone that you think should be
> pushed
> down into CMF?

I don't have anything specific in front of me right now. It is a
comment on the massive development effort going into Plone but the
trickle that happens at the CMF level, and that most of the CMF level
stuff is done by non-Plone people.

The general mindset of most Plone developers, as I perceive it from
the CMF side, seems to be one of "I'm in Plone code, and I know what
to do here, and I don't need to look beyond my world". Very few
developers have a broader view and even think of pushing generic
functionality or even specific improvements to core functionality
that originates in the CMF down to the CMF level. It seems easier for
them to monkeypatch and override directly inside Plone code.

jens