[Zope-CMF] VIRTUAL_URL and ACTUAL_URL (was Re: Collector Issues)

George Lee georgeleejr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 12:54:37 EST 2005

>> P.S.: Please do not reply to digest emails without changing the
>> subject line to something useful *and* cutting the unnecessary
>> stuff out of the quoted text.
>
> Sorry, I realized right after I replied. :-(
>
> I'd be interested in helping patch some stuff esp. Issue 393 but
> there's some background I don't know -- is there someone who's willing
> to explain some of the VIRTUAL_URL and ACTUAL_URL machinery relating
> to CookieCrumbler.py?

+ There's no "machinery". Looking at the "getUnauthorizedURL" method in
+ the CookieVrumbler module you'll see a couple things very quickly:
+
+ - ACTUAL_URL is not used at all
+ - VIRTUAL_URL is picked out of the REQUEST to fill the "came_from"
+ value for the login form *if* it doesn't already have a value and if
+ the REQUEST has a VIRTUAL_URL value.

Right -- but the part that confuses me, is where do variables like
came_from, ACTUAL_URL, and VIRTUAL_URL get set? Which ones get used,
what items (Virtual Host Monster, Cookie Crumbler, etc.) fire in what
order? What's the difference between ACTUAL_URL and VIRTUAL_URL, and
are they both still used (somebody said VIRTUAL_URL isn't used)?

I've tried digging some through the code but it's a little too
complicated for me to figure out the big picture flow; once I have
that, it'll be easier to figure out the details.

Thanks; peace,
George