[Zope-CMF] Re: GenericSetup pretty XML

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Dec 15 05:39:37 EST 2005

Hi Florent!

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2005, at 10:51, yuppie wrote:
>> Florent Guillaume wrote:
>>> Can I fix the "pretty" xml exporter to use standard identing? (2
>>> spaces for tags, 4 for attributes)
>>
>> AFAICS nothing is broken and we don't have a policy for that. So I
>> would not call it a 'fix'.

After having a closer look at this I agree that PrettyDocument is broken
because it doesn't respect the 'indent' argument of toprettyxml() in all
places. I have a fix for this in my sandbox, but svn.zope.org is down.

>> 2 spaces make it easier to read XML files with 2 or 3 levels of
>> indentation, but if the whitespace eats up a significant part of the
>> complete width and triggers additional line wrapping, I don't think
>> it's a win.
>
> I doubt we'll have more than 2 or 3 levels of indentation in profiles.

I tried to keep the indenting in sync with the HTML templates which have
much deeper levels. But I forgot about the ZCML files. That means that
we already have different patterns in use.

>> I don't know where the indenting standard you mention is defined and
>> you didn't provide any other arguments for that change.
>
> It's the standard chosen by Zope (used in all .zcml files for instance,
> or in component.xml files), and based on standard indenting observed in
> the XML world, and default indenting levels in most editors.
>
> It's a pain to edit the profiles in an editor and have them not indent
> properly.

I change my vote to -0 if

- this is no decision about the HTML templates in CMF

- all profile XML on the 1.6 branch and trunk is updated, including the
XML examples in unit tests

Cheers,

	Yuppie