[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF 1.6 change broke Plone compatibility

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Tue Dec 20 15:09:47 EST 2005

On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:53, yuppie wrote:
> The intention was to make things consistent. CMF 1.5 and CMF 2.0
> have different ways to register custom type info classes. Before
> that change both machineries were broken on the 1.6 branch because
> they were merged in an insane way.
>
> I fixed the new machinery because
>
> - most code used already the new machinery (and I thought that was
> Rob's intention)
>
> - this doesn't break many products
>

> I don't mind if you switch the 1.6 branch back to the old
> machinery, but there are more changes necessary than just reverting
> the last checkin.

Like what exactly?

With all due respect, the 1.6 branch should *not* break stuff that
works find on 1.5. The specific goal for 1.6 was to be "1.5 plus
GenericSetup" so that it stays 1.5-compatible. This change has
nothing to do with GenericSetup from all I can tell. Please don't
just say "OK, change it back if you want, but there may be traps
elsewhere". I do not know what all needs to be changed. I'll be happy
to do it, but I need to know what else is involved.

jens