[Zope-CMF] Indexing Filesystem Directory View Files

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Jan 13 16:11:17 EST 2005

Bert Vanderbauwhede wrote at 2005-1-12 09:56 +0100:
>I'm building an archive of PDF-files, using filesystem directory
>views. I would like to
>make this archive searchable, but I can't index the PDF-files on
>filesystem with
>ZCatalog. Is there a way to index these files?

Sure. You call "portal_catalog.catalog_object" for these objects.

However, you must provide some way to extract the text from these
binary formats. You should read the "ZCatalog" section
of the Zope Book (2.6/2.7 edition, online) to understand
the interfacing between "ZCatalog" and the indexed object.

We use "PortalTransforms" for the text extraction.
It, in turn, uses the "pdftotext" program from "XPDF" to
convert PDF to text.

--
Dieter