[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] GenericSetup: more refactoring - a small proposal

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Nov 10 12:52:39 EST 2005

Hi Florent!

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>> - import/export of selected tools from a bigger profile: don't think
>> we really need that
>>
>> Right now each tool has its own import step and export step. The 'Import'
>> and 'Export' tab of the setup tool allow to select single steps and run
>> them independently. If tools become part of the 'Required tools' step you
>> can just select / deselect them en bloc.
>
> Hm I don't like it, I import/export tools individually all the time.
>
> -1 from me.

What are your use cases?

Adding tools and loading the settings from an existing profile?
Resetting existing tools?
Others?

Do you import/export only single tools or big sets of tools at once?

I can see use cases like that, but I'd prefer a more decentralized
solution. Using the setup tool for tasks like that makes it too complex
and if I want to modify a single tool I don't want to switch to the
setup tool and perform many steps to get my import. Possible alternatives:

- A modified tool factory could allow adding pre-configured tools in a
similar way as the 'CMF Action' and '* Type Information' factories on
the trunk (that allow to choose presettings from profiles).

- Tools could have an import/export tab that allows to load settings
from an XML file.

- I've experimented a bit with configuring sites via WebDAV. I was able
to reconfigure portal_catalog by uploading a modified XML file. But I'm
stuck with 2 issues:
1.) tool IDs don't have an '.xml' suffix
2.) tools like portal_workflow and portal_types that are represented by
a directory of XML files are hard to bootstrap via WebDAV.

Would one of these features be a good alternative for your use cases?

Cheers,

	Yuppie