[Zope-CMF] Re: backporting GenericSetup to CMF-1.5

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Fri Nov 11 20:59:03 EST 2005

Rob Miller wrote:

> those of us planning out the next Plone releases are in a bit of a bind.
>  we really want to make use of GenericSetup's newer Z3-interface-based
> means of defining import and export handlers, so that we can start work
> on rewriting our migration engine to use XML import and export, and so
> we can keep up w/ CMF 2.0 as it moves forward.  however, we just had a
> release that broke all of the add-on products, and it's not really an
> option for us to break everything again by depending on CMF 2.0, which
> has removed a bunch of deprecated spellings that are still in common use
> throughout many Plone add-on products.
>
> we realize, of course, that this is in part a result of us having fallen
> so far behind CMF's development cycle, but we are now earnestly trying
> to play catch-up, and to continue to keep up, without forcing all of our
> product authors to rewrite their products twice in 6 months just to keep
> them working.
>
> to this end, it would be very useful for us to have a 1.5-compatible
> version of CMF that makes use of the newer Generic/CMFSetup semantics.
> this would allow us to use the new site creation code (which we've
> nearly completed) in our next release without breaking backwards
> compatibility with the existing add-on products.  this would also make
> it easier to keep up w/ CMF trunk development w/o having to maintain two
> radically different branches of Plone.  CMF 2.X would be required, of
> course, with the subsequent release.

Thanks for explaining the rationale so clearly.

> how do folks feel about this?  (note that we, i.e. the plone developers,
> are willing to do the work.)  would you be willing to have an additional
> 1.5 release, or perhaps a 1.6 release, which includes these changes?

I would be happier with this as a 1.6, because it adds features (and
therefore risk of instability) into a mature release / support line.

+1 to that, assuming we can scope it as "current 1.5 branch except
CMFSeup / GenericSetup from some labeled tag of current trunk."  Note
that I would expect to continue "critical / security bugfix" support for
the 1.5 line, and would want the 1.6 line to stay as close to 1.5 as
possible (with the exception of the setup code) to reduce the
maintenance burden.

> our
> current tentative release schedule has a Plone alpha in late december,
> beta in february, release some time in march.

Just for the record:  CMF 2.0 should be in alpha by the end of this
month, with a beta in mid December and a release in early January.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com