[Zope-CMF] Re: Dead branches

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Nov 12 14:47:14 EST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 10:15:16PM +0100, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
> >>Could folks having old CMF branches clean them up ?
> >>See http://svn.zope.org/CMF/branches/
> >>
> >>This seems to concern: ajung, andrew, chrism, chrisw, gregweb,
> >>jshell, mj, regebro, shane, sidnei, slinkp, tseaver, yuppie.
> >

> >I'm afraid I don't know what that means. I didn't find anything
> >relevant under http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Subversion .
>
> It means removing them using svn rm.
>
> The point is that looking at available branches is a good way to know
> "what's cooking", and if there are tens of them that have either been
> merged or abandonned, it clutters everything. Also removing them is not
> a problem as svn doesn't lose the information, and if for some reason
> the history of the branch has to be retrieved, it's easy.

Ah, thanks for the explanation, I was used to doing things the
CVS way where branches live forever and you just have to live
with the clutter.

I've removed all my CMF and Zope branches from SVN,
except the slinkp-configure_changes branch which I
had completely forgotten about.*

Also I've added a note about the practice of removing old
branches to the SVN FAQ at

* configure on the slinkp-configure_changes branch
allows multiple "preferred" versions of Python,
for the case when a bugfix release to the stable branch
of Python comes out and we don't want to inappropriately
advise someone to downgrade it.  See discussion at
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2004-July/151839.html
... in which I was apparently supposed to merge this change to
2.7, 2.8 and the trunk, and I never did. Duh.
I'm now inclined to leave 2.7 alone since it seems a bit unlikely that
we'll have future bugfix releases to *both* zope 2.7 and python 2.3.
But I'd still like to land this change on the trunk and 2_8 branches.

Of course configure has changed a lot since that branch,
so I may have to start from scratch ... anyway, I'll go sort it out now.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com