[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] GenericSetup: more refactoring - a small proposal

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Tue Nov 15 05:27:29 EST 2005

yuppie wrote:
>>> - import/export of selected tools from a bigger profile: don't think
>>> we really need that
>>>
>>> Right now each tool has its own import step and export step. The
>>> 'Import'
>>> and 'Export' tab of the setup tool allow to select single steps and run
>>> them independently. If tools become part of the 'Required tools' step
>>> you
>>> can just select / deselect them en bloc.
>>

>> Hm I don't like it, I import/export tools individually all the time.
>>
>> -1 from me.
>

> What are your use cases?
>
> Adding tools and loading the settings from an existing profile?

When developing a site configuration I keep exporting and importing some
tool's profiles on various zopes, copying them between zopes to test, etc.

> Resetting existing tools?

Sometimes yes, to get rid of customizations made.

> Others?
>
> Do you import/export only single tools or big sets of tools at once?

Single tools usually. Maybe two or three at most.

> I can see use cases like that, but I'd prefer a more decentralized
> solution. Using the setup tool for tasks like that makes it too complex
> and if I want to modify a single tool I don't want to switch to the
> setup tool and perform many steps to get my import. Possible alternatives:
>
> - A modified tool factory could allow adding pre-configured tools in a
> similar way as the 'CMF Action' and '* Type Information' factories on
> the trunk (that allow to choose presettings from profiles).
>
> - Tools could have an import/export tab that allows to load settings
> from an XML file.

I don't understand, in the CMF 1.5 framework I'm using that doesn't make
sense. Things go through portal_setup. Maybe in CMF 2.0 and the updated
GenericSetup that's different but I'm not there yet.

If individual tools have Export/Import tabs that do the I/O, fine, but I
don't see any code that does that today. You're proposing that we modify
every single tool's implementation, instead of having things in portal_setup?

> - I've experimented a bit with configuring sites via WebDAV. I was able
> to reconfigure portal_catalog by uploading a modified XML file. But I'm
> stuck with 2 issues:
> 1.) tool IDs don't have an '.xml' suffix
> 2.) tools like portal_workflow and portal_types that are represented by
> a directory of XML files are hard to bootstrap via WebDAV.

WebDAV is something different. I want to be able to use the ZMI, that's what
it's for.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com