[Zope-CMF] Re: CMFSetup, getting started

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Sat Nov 19 13:56:05 EST 2005

Rocky Burt wrote:

> I forgot to mention that I'm trying to get started with CMFSetup in CMF
> 1.5 as my current deployment platform happens to be Plone 2.1.1.
> Hopefully most of CMFSetup's (from CMF 1.5) functionality is migratable
> into CMF 2.0.

the CMF 1.5 CMFSetup spellings will work on CMF 2.0, but, unfortunately,
they are already deprecated.  it is for this reason that i have started
working on CMF 1.6, which backports the CMF 2.0 GenericSetup/CMFSetup
code to an otherwise-little-changed CMF 1.5 codebase.  my primary reason
for doing this is to use it in the next major release of Plone, but it's
probable that it will end up working w/ Plone 2.1.1, as well.

> Rocky Burt wrote:
>
>> Hi CMF'ers,
>>
>> With all the recent talks on getting GenericSetup/CMFSetup working on
>> CMF 2.0 and knowing that CMFSetup is already with us in CMF 1.5, I've
>> decided to finally take the plunge and figure this thing out.
>>
>> So I started poking around in the CMFSetup and README.txt does a great
>> job of describing what CMFSetup can do, but doesn't seem to describe
>> anything on how to actually do it.
>>
>> I guess what I'm asking for here is some starter
>> docs/comments/examples on getting started with CMFSetup.  Could
>> someone point out a good example product that makes use of CMFSetup?
>> Are there any docs out there that describe how to get going with
>> CMFSetup?

the best overview i know about of how to approach using GenericSetup in
the 2.0-compatible fashion is a message that yuppie sent to the
plone-devel list: http://tinyurl.com/8sdx8

there is example code using this in the CMF 1.6 and CMF 2.0 branches as
well as in the goldegg branch of plone.

i plan on writing up some documentation about how to do this, but right
now i'm a bit under the gun to get CMF 1.6 in decent shape and get a
review bundle of Plone working with it for consideration for the next
Plone release.

-r