[Zope-CMF] Re: reindexing optimizations

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 09:36:33 EST 2005

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> That's certainly a good hack. There are several ways to do it, either
> with a thread-local variable, or in the request, or by walking the
> stack's locals to check for a __dont_index__ attribute... You'd have to
> bench, but a thread-local variable is probably the fastest. You want to
> store a set of objects whose indexing should be skipped.

Urm? Surely it's the other way round? ie: you build a mapping of objects
that need re-indexing, so you only re-index each one once...

> As Julien said it's not very hard to implement, it's just that there are
> application changes to consider. Still, there's agreement that CMF
> should move in that direction, I can provide patches taken from the CPS
> implementation. (And it requires Zope 2.8/ZODB 3.4 of course.) Some of
> the framework should pushed into Zope itself.

I think this is the way to go, but I do feel there should be some
override method for unit testing and als ofor where you want to do a
search after doing a load of object changes....

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk