[Zope-CMF] Re: Proposal for hooking rendering

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Nov 30 10:33:38 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 09:40:40AM +0100, Paul Everitt wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
> > 3) Universal. The corporate id is not optional. It gets imposed on
> >every page in a site.
> >"""
> >
> >That goes too far IMO. Opt-in is a pain, but if you remove it, we need
> >to add an "opt-out" feature. Consider for example links that launch
> >pop-ups with some snippet of information in a smaller window. You
> >frequently want these to have a very stripped down look-and-feel. This
> >can be used for e.g. context help. I've seen a lot of sites like this
> >and worked on some.
>
> That policy can be implemented in the tool itself.  For this small
> proposal, the change wouldn't care.  The tool could just return back the
> same then passed, unchanged. [wink]

OK, as long as it's possible somehow :)

> >So this wouldn't work for PageTemplate instances in the ZODB,
> >e.g. in portal_skins/custom/ ?
>
> Ok, I picked the wrong spot for the proposed implementation.  (I'm not a
> CMF guru, but I'd like to contribute.)  Whatever implementation is
> chosen would need to cover both FS and customized template output.

When you customize a FSPageTemplate, you get a plain ZopePageTemplate.
So you'll need to find a way to post-process the output of those
without requiring a change to core Zope, or this becomes a Zope
proposal.  Unfortunately I haven't a clue how you could avoid that.

(snip)
> Still, I'm hoping that my small, 3-line proposal doesn't get changed
> into a "let's replace templating systems" discussion. :^)

Certainly. I probably shouldn't have posted about that in
this thread.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com