[Zope-CMF] Re: RFC: GenericSetup Architecture Proposal

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Tue Sep 13 13:31:15 EDT 2005

Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:

> I owe another proposal on filesystem export / import of content, but
> this one was a prerequisite.  Please comment on the list, as the
> discussion facilities on the site are pretty much useless.
>
> http://www.zope.org/Products/CMF/docs/requirements/proposals/GenericSetup_architecture

I'm not sure if I understand the proposed way to register SetupHandlers:

Obviously you propose a new global registry for available SetupHandlers
with new API and ZCML for registering SetupHandlers.

At the first glance that makes export_steps.xml and import_steps.xml
obsolete. But there is the MetaProfile that has to be shipped with a
BaselineProfile and that is maintained in the tool. Why do we still need
MetaProfiles? Can't we just walk through a site/profile and
export/import each object that has a handler?

http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2005-September/022877.html
proposes to use im- and export adapters for content objects. Can't we do
the same for config objects, registering the SetupHandlers as adapters?
And get rid of the special SetupHandler registries completely?

Cheers,

	Yuppie