[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] encoding of tool settings / CMFSetup

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Thu Sep 15 10:42:06 EDT 2005

Hi Yuppie,

> Is there any need to support tool settings with other encodings than
> utf-8 (and ascii as a subset of utf-8)?

I think there is. Take for instance the portal property "title". It could
very well be a non-ascii string, and contain accents. It could be (a) an str
encoded in some charset, or (b) unicode.

If (a), then we can assume the charset specified by the portal property
"default_charset" (with a default of "" meaning "latin-9" maybe), and
re-encode to unicode before passing it to the export template.

Export is thus not a problem.

When importing though, we'll have a non-ascii utf-8 string and we have to
decide if we're going to decode it to unicode or re-encode it to the
default_charset. This has to be done according to the property type (for
properties). For non-properties, I guess we could punt and say tough luck.

But I agree that there's no need to pass around an "encoding" attribute, XML
is utf-8 and that's it.

Florent